Back to Awen
aaa

+

Neuadd y Dref Maesteg

MAESTEG TOWN HALL

Maesteg Town Hall is a beautiful Grade II listed building
situated right in the heart of this historic town centre

ABOUT MAESTEG TOWN HALL


Maesteg Town Hall is a beautiful and adaptable theatre, arts and community venue in the heart of the South Wales valleys, situated within easy reach of Cardiff and Swansea with public transport links nearby. Our stylish auditorium is one of the finest in South Wales, and has been proudly serving the Llynfi Valley and beyond since 1881.

The hall is a fully flexible space, with a seating capacity of up to 500, a sprung wooden dance floor and a concert quality sound system, and is used for all kinds of events, such as concerts, shows, comedy evenings, community events and   society dinners, and has a fully licensed bar. We are also a popular wedding reception venue.

WHAT WE DO


HISTORY


On the 31st October 1880, C.R.M Talbot MP laid the foundation stone of the Town Hall. He donated £500 towards the building fund, and the miners of the valley agreed to levy a day’s wage towards the cost of completion.

The original structure was designed by Henry Harris of Cardiff and was of the Queen Anne style, with a most imposing frontage, which was reached from the street by a double flight of steps. At the time it was considered one of the finest halls in South Wales. The Hall was renovated just before the outbreak of WW1 and the building is now grade II listed.

The Hall has played a long and prominent part in the cultural life and history of the Llynfi Valley, and still hosts concerts and performances from many of the local community arts organisations. It is also the permanent home to some of Christopher Williams’ large oil paintings.

The Maesteg Community is immensely proud of its Town Hall, and Awen Cultural Trust is committed to assuring its future as a platform for the arts and entertainment in Maesteg and the Llynfi Valley.

(With thanks to D. Brown & Sons Ltd. of Cowbridge for kind permission to use excerpts from the book History of the Llynfi Valley.)

Gallery